"Don't quit your day job."

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

History Lessons


Inspired by the first comment left on my site, I decided to share a passion of mine. First, I'd like to sincerely thank the person who left the comment. It made my day to see someone actually read my babble! You can read her blog at: http://www.thingsthatmakeyougoblah.blogspot.com

When I was about 5, my dad took me up in a single engine plane and ever since I've wanted to learn to fly. It was probably his 3rd or 5th solo fight - and my first time flying.

When I was about 7, my Grandpa gave me a F4U-1A Corsair model airplane kit, which is similar to the one Major Gregory "Pappy" Boyington flew. He led one of the most famous fighter squadrons of WWII, nicknamed the "Black Sheep". We'd watch the TV show together, much to my Grandmother's dismay. I loved that show, and loved to listen to him talk about the different types of planes used in the war. My Grandpa was dying of cancer at this time, and had been in and out of VA hospitals where he took up model building to past the time. I still have that Corsair model - it's still in the box. He passed away before we could put it together.

A few years ago, I visited the Evergreen Aviation Museum and first learned about the WASP or Women Airforce Service Pilots of WWII. They were considered civilians, yet they were trained to fly a variety of military aircraft - including experimental planes to show the men they were safe. And as civilians they did not get any military recognition - not even those who gave their lives. As the war ended, so did the program in 1944. It wasn't until 1994, when Lt. Jeannie Flynn completed training on F-15E and became first Air Force woman combat pilot.

As you might of guessed, besides airplanes I like history stuff. If questioned, I'd deny this fact - and if asked to study history in a classroom setting with tests I'd decline. In fact, it was in my world history class in high school that I learned the subtle art of passing notes - without getting caught. Not to mention, discovering my talent for doodling - a skill I still practice today. Oh, and least I forget the art of looking like your doing what your supposed to be doing - while doing something entirely different. This is a skill I use every day. Yes, the public school system should be proud...

* The photo I found at: http://www.radiodiaries.org/wasps.html. It is of Libby Gardner, WASP. One of the reasons I liked it was that a beautiful woman was at the controls of the plane instead of a figure painted on the outside.

2 Comments:

  • Hey, Libby Gardner has been my pin-up ever since I saw that picture....

    By Blogger mole42, at 9:39 AM  

  • On behalf of my daughters and granddaughters we thank you for showinig the world women can be more, do more, dream more and have more. Libby and the other women of the WASP's are of my mothers generation who gave us the freedom to be what we can dream.

    By Blogger Linda, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger