"Don't quit your day job."

Monday, August 08, 2005

The big picture...

The weekend came and went. Didn't get anything accomplished, really. Did go school shopping as my EMT-B class starts in two weeks. Excited yet, a little scared. OK, a lot scared. Still waiting for my college transcript. You'd think after dropping several thousand dollars, they'd at least be nicer on the phone.

Anyway, lots has changed in school supplies since I last attended. I needed a new backpack as I finally retired mine (had it for over ten years), and was a little confused as to which one to get.

Seeing my frustration, a ten year old boy "schooled" me in the hi-tech subject of backpacks. "You see, many kids make the mistake of getting one too big." he said pointing to one that looked like you'd take it on a five day hiking trip. "But get one to small, and that would be bad. Also, you want one that has a good shoulder pads and is balanced." He pointed to one that was kidney shaped with one strap on it. "That's a good one, it's even got a detachable cell phone holder. How old is your kid?" He asked, staring up at me. "Well, it's for me - I'm going back to school." I said, awkwardly.

Tilting his head to the side, he asked "Why?" as if maybe I didn't pay attention the first time around and they were sending me back. "To become an EMT, and then eventually a Paramedic." He thought a minute, and said - "Oh, one of those guys who drive the ambulance." Great, I thought, already I'm a bambulance driver... Then the kid blew me away. "You'll make a good one - you look nice. When my grandpa stopped breathing the ambulance came - I called 911. They were nice. They got him breathing again, but he died at the hospital a few days later." Not sure how to respond, I said "I am really sorry to hear that." "Thanks,"he said looking at his shoes "he's in a better place. Did you always want to be an ambulance driver? I'm not sure what I want to be." I really wanted to hug the kid, but figured someone would think I was trying to kidnap him, and I began to wonder where his parents were. "Well, I guess I did. I really liked my physiology and science classes in high school. What classes do you like?" "Uh, P.E., and Lunch." He said with a big grin. "I see, well, ya might want to think about something in sales." I said, picking up the kidney shaped backpack.

I've been house sitting at my parents as they are visiting my brother and his wife who just welcomed my nephew into the world. Usually, staying at my parents is like a vacation. It's a great house - HUGE TV with surround sound, a jetted tub you could swim in and central air. But now that I own a home again (well, the bank does), I'd rather be there. Even though the tub was made for an Oompa-Loompa, and central air consists of a fan in the middle of whatever room I'm in. Weird huh? I do get better channels, however, as I have Dish and they have cable. So, needless to say, I was bored out of my skull with no housework or weekend projects to do.

I did happen upon a show called Rescue Warriors. It's about Air Force guys training to jump out of planes in the middle of combat and treat wounded. In one exercise, they were treating mock patients (real people) in a mud pit - trying to start an IV while the instructor is hosing them (the medic and the patient) down with icy water and yelling. Not only do these guys have to learn to be medics, but they have to learn to jump out of a plane over water - at low altitude - precisely land near "the package", which is a motor boat in a cube. And THEN, go into a combat zone and treat numerous patients all while trying to not get injured or killed themselves. Man, learning to be a bambulance driver might not be so bad. One thing that I learned that could be applicable is not to get tunnel vision - to always get the big picture.

2 Comments:

  • I watched that rescue warriors show too. cool stuff. I would love to do that for a living but they have that whole "no women in special forces rule."

    By Blogger Stacey, at 9:36 PM  

  • It's a stupid rule. Women are allowed in combat and have died for this country (not just in the current war) - yet are still not good enough for Special Forces. However, rules are meant to be broken. i.e.: Women Air force Service Pilots (WASP) of World War II. They were the first American women to fly military aircraft, I believe. Read more at: http://www.radiodiaries.org/wasps.html

    By Blogger jess360, at 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger